Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Secret Wars at home and in the galaxy #2

     Okay I'm back. Where was I?
     That's right, free comic book day. "No idea I answered." He gave me the rundown, half priced back issues, propmotional books for free from the biggies (Marvel DC ext.)
    Save the date, consider it saved.
    Needless to say I spent a few bucks on "free comic book day" when it finally rolled around. This did not sit well with my wife. As soon as I got back she began to ask how much I'd spent that day. "What did I get?", " Why did I get it?", "Do you really need those?" This of course brings us to the secret wars  at home portion of our little tale.
    This was a very strange development in my life. My wife rarely gives me a hard time about anything. We are VERY happily married, no issues, but this addition of a handful of comic books seemed to bit of a pebble in her shoe.  It's wasn't the money, I mean, we're not rich but I've certainly got enough that I can piss a few dollars away on comic books once a week. (I've discovered the "pull list") I did the math and I spend more money on a weekly basis on cigarettes and coffee than I do on comics. So what was it? What had changed?
    Here's my best guess... if anyone's reading maybe you could chime in. When my wife and I met years ago she was bar-tending, putting away money for her master's degree and I was a bouncer at the same night club. I also did some personal security work at the times to help with the bills. Shortly after we met, we kissed, began dating, became happy, became happier, she left the club to pursue her MBA and a paid internship with Morgan Stanley while I also stepped away from night club life and began working with a military and tactical firm (Strictly for film and Television.) having fake firefights and chasing Jack Bauer around.
     Her internship turned into a full time position and she encouraged me to elevate myself within the company I work for, which I did. Leap of faith time, I invested, became part owner and things are awesome. We get the house, joint bank accounts, rings and then said "I do." (I know, we did backwards, wanted her to graduate so no homework on the honeymoon.) Happily ever after right?  Pretty much. Honestly, her new found annoyance with the comics is not really bad, not at all. It's just the only thing- I know I'm lucky.
     So? What's the issue? Again, best guess.
     She met and married 1st a bouncer, executive protection detail guy, who then works at a military tactical firm, then becomes management above hundreds of military operators. Kind of a paradigm shift when that guy starts coming home with comic books aint it?  From Jason Bourne to Sheldon Cooper overnight. I can see why she's upset.
    If I came home and told me she was burning her MBA and volunteering for Hilary for America I think I'd need to pull a "double take" as well.
    So I toned it down a bit. Cut my comic pull list down to Deadpool, planet hulk, Secret Wars- oh yeah Secret wars! Remember the fast forward button I was talking about earlier?  A lot happened between issue 252 and now and I don't know what the hell is going on.... but I like it.
    First off doctor Doom is now a GOD!? Okay, fine, I remember he almost pulled it off in the original Secret Wars story line, so I can buy that somewhere in the past twenty years he was actually able to pull it off. There are dozens of  Thor's and none of them are the original guy... okay. There seems to be two or three of everybody, Spiderman, Reed Richards, Sue Richards dies right away then pops back up Hanging with Doctor Doom. What else don't I get? How bout- multiple hulks- Grey hulks with Mohawks. The "Fantastic kids", the creepy offspring for Reed and Sue- who may or may not be dead. I think Peter Parker is dead or has morphed into an hispanic dude. Oh! when did wolverine Die!!! Wait, he might not be dead, let me walk over here, what's this "old man Logan"?
    Long story short I'm loving it Quietly. as I write this the wife thinks I'm doing research between the FN-200 and HK 416 assault rifles. What a lovely Day.
    I also stumbled across another thing.... Stephen King comics. Oh dear lord, what a lovely day. Mr. King will have to have an entire entry dedicated to him... next up, maybe tomorrow.  
   Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment