Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Secret Wars at home and in the Galaxy

Secret Wars at home and in the galaxy.

       Been awhile since I rattled away on the keyboard to post something onto the Tweekerville Blog.
       The reasons for my return are somewhat varied but can pretty much be brought into focus on a single word. Comics.
       Yep Comic books, graphic novels, trade paperbacks and even, that's right, Stephen King, the man the myth the legend. As many of us were, I was a collector of these wonderful stories when I was a kid. My ole man would always pick up a couple for me when I was sick and home from school. They would never get thrown away after reading. "Back in the day" it was Sergeant Rock , Weird Wars and of course Spider man, whatever looked good to my Dad I suppose.  I'd buy a couple for myself when alowances or odd jobs provided me with a bit of Little kid money... On my own I found Daredevil. This year, whadda know, Net flicks stumbled across ole horn head as well. This led me back.
        I suppose I should go to the end of the beginning and explain what brought my collecting days to an end. Or not... doesn't really matter seeing as no one is likely to read this anyway- guess that'll make it less embarrassing. The little kid comics I was given by my dad and the daredevil's I squirreled away money for were soon joined by other titles that I found myself to love. X-men, Ghost Rider, fantastic four, ole reliable Spidey. Then the insanity truly began when Peter Parker put on some fancy new black duds. All hell broke lose and I was enjoying ever minute of it. I thought I'd buy some comics hold em for a year and make myself a million dollars, just like the rest of the dipshits. I even plopped  thirty bucks for Spiderman #252, had two copies once upon a time.
      One fateful night (In high school by this time) I came home late at night having attended a standard issue, high school keg party. World was spinning, I reeked of booze and somehow made it past my parents, "Oh what a lovely Day!!!"
      Then the world spun faster, the day became less lovely, I decided to ride it out. If only I can lay  in bed all will be fine but when my head hit the pillow matters worsened. Stomach churned producing foul tasting burps which hung in my mouth compounding the issue until I leaned of the edge of the twin bed a PUKED MY GUTS UP!!
       Right into my comics. Had the long box propped right next to the bed. Oops.
       I remember that Calvin and Hobbs survived the Bushmills blast but little else did. One of Many major loses I can attribute to Alcohol in my life. Different story, another time.
      So That was that. I was a little too old and too aware of the current of "cool" that did not include comics in the first place to begin again.
      Gotta hold down the fast forward button for awhile here, lot of years between then and now. So netflix, Daredevil, ole Matt Murdock back in my life and a comic book store not three miles from my house. I'd noticed the joint before of course, always having an urge to go in but never acting on it. Until that is, I did. Little comic shop called Galaxy Of comics (That's where the Galaxy in the title of this came from.) I strolled in, nodded to the guy behind the counter and proceeded to look around.
      Good ole Spidey was still around, as was Matt Murdock and other friendly faces.  But it seemed my friends had grown up just like me. Art work is way different, characters I'd never heard of before- I fled to the back issues.
        I Found the Elektra storyline back in there and picked up some issues I'd once owned and proceeded to check out. Warren (Guy behind the counter) asked "Find everything?" and I said "Not even close". He proceeded to ask me what I was looking for and I gave him the cliff notes version of the story above, he helped my find a couple books I overlooked when a synapse fired in my brain- Secret Wars! How could I have forgotten?! That's where Spidey got his new suit and changed the landscape of my comfortable adolescent comic book store for once and all time (Wish I could remember it's name)
     I asked, was pointed in the right direction and added to the pile of titles I had back at the counter.
     Then it happened. Warren asked me "Ya' know there's a whole new Secret Wars about to come out?" as he handed me the Marvel promotional postcard. I didn't know anything about it but pocketed the postcard as he rung me up on an old school register. "Ya' know about free comic book day?" he asked without looking up. Of course I didn't... starting to get the picture? Hooked once again like Jim Carroll trying to shoot up one last time; just don't work that way.


getting a little late..... I shall return. May as well post this.

No comments:

Post a Comment